Had a few too many game burgers this week? Spaghetti and fajitas getting a little old? Try this recipe and you may even forget that you are eating Bambi (for those nights you wish you could). It’s that good.
Antelope steaks – marinated in soy sauce and lime juice for at least 4 hours
1 red bell pepper – chopped
Snow peas – as much as you’d like
Bamboo shoots – found canned
1 large red onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
Sriracha Hot Sauce, or similar heat
Large handful of fresh basil – chopped
Coconut Milk – light or full flavor (I typically opt for full flavor)
– Begin by cooking rice in coconut milk and water (if needed)
– Sauté onion and garlic in oil over medium high heat
– Cut your antelope or other game meat into very small pieces
– Add the meat and cook with onions and garlic until cooked through – You may have to remove some of the moisture that collects when sautéing meat. I did and just used a large spoon. This allows the meat to brown.
– Once browning begins, add bell pepper and cook for a few minutes
– Add soy sauce – 1/2 cup or as much or little as you’d like
– Add Sriracha – as much as you’d like – it’s HOT!
– Add 2 tablespoons of sugar and then more if you need to decrease the heat
– Continue stirring and tasting sauce to make sure the combination of sweet, salty, and spicy is to your liking
– Add snow peas, bamboo shoots, and basil and continue to cook for a few more minutes
– Serve over coconut rice and be sure to include some of the sauce
NOTE: I’ve made this dish multiple times with chicken but this was the first time I used game. It really did turn out nice. I bet it would be great with pheasant as well.
I hope you enjoy it!