Homemade pizza topped with wild game sausage and a splattering of cheeses and veggies is a great recipe to recharge my once sputtering desire for wild game dishes. As you know, we are blessed with hundreds of pounds of frozen wild game. I do my best to cook with it as often as possible, but a girl’s got to enjoy her fish, chicken, and vegetarian meals once in a while. I took a brief hiatus from our frozen fortune in the garage and decided to indulge on the whiter meats. Thanks for your patience and I hope you enjoy this recipe!
1 package of uncooked pizza dough (I used whole wheat dough from a local bakery)
1 package of wild game sausage links – cut into bite size pieces – or ground sausage
1 small red onion – halved and cut into strips
1 cup or so of goat cheese
2 cups or so of shredded mozzarella cheese
Pinch of brown sugar
– Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place pizza stone in oven if you have one
– Roll out pizza dough until desired width and thickness ( If anyone has any tips on rolling pizza dough, please let me know… this was somewhat of a disaster for me, but luckily regardless of what it looks like, it still tastes the same 🙂 )
– Bake untopped pizza dough for 10 minutes or until slightly golden
– While dough bakes, cook wild game sausage over medium high heat until cooked through
– Cook onion over medium heat – add 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. Cover with lid, reduce heat to medium low and let cook for 5 minutes or until softened
– Remove dough from oven and top with olive oil, spices of your liking, goat cheese, mozzarella cheese, wild game sausage, and caramelized onions
– Return to oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown
– Top pizza with fresh arugula and serve
Note: We added a balsamic vinaigrette to the arugula at the very end and it was a nice burst of flavor.