This meal of roasted zucchini, elk sausage, scallions, and sun-dried tomatoes was not only eye pleasing, but MOUTH WATERING! Without a doubt, I will prepare this dish many more times… it was bright, flavorful, and satisfying without being too heavy. I think this would be a great recipe to try when you are expecting guests and want to impress :), but would rather spend your night engaged in conversation as opposed to sweating over the oven. Elegance with ease.
So start here…. it’s easy and as always healthy and scrumptious!
Prepared game sausage – see recipe here from previous post!
Enough zucchini to serve at least one half per person
Scallions or Green Onions (is there a difference?!)
1 large lemon
1/2 cup pine nuts
Grated parmesan cheese
2 garlic cloves – finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
– Preheat oven to 400 degrees
– Wash zucchini and cut in half length wise, remove the seeded part with a spoon
– Toss zucchini lightly in olive oil
– Spoon sausage mixture into hollowed out part of zucchini
– Top with cut scallions and half of chopped garlic
– Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until zucchini starts to brown
– While sausage and zucchini bake, prepare couscous
– Toss pine nuts in with zucchini for last few minutes to lightly toast
– Add juice of half a lemon, garlic, 1 tablespoon scallions, and toasted pine nuts to couscous
– Arrange zucchini boat on top of bed of couscous, top with grated parmesan and ENJOY!!
This recipe is a variation of a recipe that a friend passed on to me from Real Simple.