Welcome!

I have a feeling that if you are reading my “Welcome” blog you are most likely a:

1. Friend – thanks guys!!  Woo hoo!! It’s finally up!
2. Family member – Hi Mom and Dad, Sister and Brother…I know this is a little weird.  Yes I eat wild animals.  Turns out they’re delicious and incredibly healthy!
3. Person googling “game recipes” – while avoiding sites that include recipes involving raccoon, juniper berries, and javelina.

So thanks for finding your way here… however you made it.

from Forest to Fork is a blog about cooking game.  I’m hoping to answer my own questions.  What do I do with this?  As I learn, I want to provide some guidance as to how to cook particular cuts of game meat and how to make them taste and look delicious.

I hope you gain some inspiration from this adventure and that you too will try some new recipes.  I would LOVE it if this became something in which we all could contribute our opinions about certain recipes, tips for the table, new recipes, and questions.

Thank you for joining me.  Here we go!

Katie

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Welcome!

1. The Sister says:

Yes, definitely weird… but I’m finally glad to have a place to look for recipes while cooking game in my Manhattan apartment (ha). If you have any suggestions on how to cook rat OR pigeon, that would be great.

The Sis

2. Mom in Maryland says:

Wow! Where did you learn to cook like that? Looks wonderful, Katie. Good luck!!!

3. Annie says:

Great job Katie. I am super excited to try the first recipe! You are actually making me excited for a Montana winter! Now that is crazy.

4. PA/SC Aunt says:

Wonderful blog, Katie – and terrific recipes!

Finely chopped mushrooms (aka duxelles, if you’re French) and finely chopped spinich are other additions to “burgers” made from game, or turkey, or any lean chopped or ground meat. They add flavor, moisture and structure while being light on fat and dairy (for those folks with allergies, special diets and such).

I know I promised you some upland game recipes and now that I’ve seen what wonderful things you’re doing with yours, I swear I’ll get right onto sharing our favorites from field and stream, and shore, lake and woodland. And can’t wait to serve yours to family and friends back east and south. xoxox

5. Annie Awe says:

Katie,
    You have done it. I am officially hooked. I opened my freezer moments ago and looked at it with no visions or inspiration. I quickly came to my computer to see what cut I need to do what and which one of your recipes I am going to make tonight. Thank you so much for doing this!! xo

6. Margie Fraley - (Rachael Brinker's mom) says:

You are so clever, love your inventiveness (1st sign of a good cook). Good job on the marinade research. W/love a good goose recipe if you have one.

• Katie Seacat says:

Margie,
      I’d love to learn how to cook goose. I grew up in Maryland…where we have tons of geese. I’ll see if I can get a good recipe from back home. Thanks for taking a look at the blog.
      p.s. …we’re so excited for Rachael and David!

7. Amanda says:

Katie-
    This is such a great idea! Mike and I have tons of deer and goose meet in our freezer, but I avoid cooking it because I can never find recipes that take the game flavor away. I’ll be checking this frequently!

• Katie Seacat says:

Thanks! I’m happy that you’ll be able to use some of the recipes. I decided it was finally time for me to learn how to cook game. We’ll see how it goes, but so far so good!

8. Lauren Riddick says:

This is so great! Thank you for letting us all know about it. I will be a friendly stalker from now on 🙂

9. Ciara Wolfe says:

Katie- I had no idea you were so talented with graphics, photography and design! No wonder you and Mark make such a wonderful team. I am also a big fan of trying to copy my favorite restaurant’s recipes- and have a personal favorite from Rib & Chop House in Livingston that consists mainly of elk steak, salad, caramelized onions and a balsamic reduction, but had no idea how to share it with you on the blog. It will be a great excuse to cook it when we have you guys over for dinner! Again I love the your blog and know Mike will too (who enjoys cooking a little bit more than I).

10. Tiff says:

From Peanut Butter Sandwiches to Antelope Sausage Pasta…girlfriend, you’ve outdone yourself! We’ll have to be in touch on how I can get some elk meat shipped out this way. You know I can’t pass up a recipe site without having something in mind to add. My cousin gave us a killer marinade recipe- Bourbon Marinade…good for beef, pork, chicken, venison…I can only imagine it will do just fine with your game out west. Also, my aunt has a “family favorite” of Venison Stir Fry…again, sure it would work fine with elk or another of its kind. Let me know if you want them. I’ll get you the recipes but there won’t be any fancy photography to accompany them (sorry!). Beautiful site!